As this is my first blog of 2014 I thought I would do something a bit different and reflect on the last year. I will be discussing the medias impact on image and how to overcome self esteem issues, a huge problem which needs more addressing in our society.
2013 was a bumpy year for me it had it’s ups and downs .. my 2014 resolution was to rid myself of all those downs and that is what I have done. As a 22 year old female, it doesn’t take much to have your confidence knocked, and it can be something so small that can cause it. Every girl or boy no matter how beautiful they may look to others can always feel like the opposite on the inside.
In summer 2013 I completed a 6 week make up course with the amazing Ciara Daly one of the leading make up artists in Northern Ireland. Ciara taught me that I can be whatever I wanted to be so long as I worked hard enough to get it. Ciara also taught her students that no matter what people look like in magazines, movies, music videos etc, all a person should be is the best version of themselves.
I browse through the internet and social media sites daily and every day I come across negativity against girls who have put up before and after pictures with and without make up. I also see negativity against males who work out daily and use fake tan. I also see negativity against those who struggle daily to get a job or to even get out of bed in the morning.
So many factors in this day and age contribute to the low self esteem and lack of confidence of so many people. These issues can lead to health problems such as depression and serious weight gain/ loss.
When I look at magazines and watch the likes of Made in Chelsea, all I see is image image image, it has been drilled into our minds by the media from a young age and most people don’t realise the impact it is having on their lives.
I am of mixed race and I suffered from racist bullying for years, as a result of this I spent so much of my young life trying to hide my ethnicity, I used pale make up and died my hair lighter. When I started to grow up and appreciate who I was I realised that no there is nothing wrong with having darker skin, and my natural hair is so rich and thick, so why did I try and hide these qualities that I now get complimented for daily. Because of the way I was made to feel by others, this is a huge problem affecting so many people.
A woman should feel beautiful because of what she has accomplished, it is not realistic for every girl to be a size 8 with D cups and flawless skin and hair. A girl should be the best that she can be, use your talents to take you far, use your heart to care for those around you and treat your body with respect because it is the only one that you have.
Looking good should not be a competition and no one should base their looks around celebrities they see in magazines that have been airbrushed and photoshopped. Yes make the best of what you have, but do it for yourself to make you feel like the best version of yourself.
If someone choses to wear fake tan because it makes them feel better then so be it. If a girl feels more confident with make up on than without, that is her choice.
Ways to boost your self esteem:
– List all of your accomplishments
– Think about the people that love you, they love you for a reason, so what are those reasons?
– Eat healthy and exercise, give your body what it needs. Good food and exercise are good for your health and your mood, this is the first step to accomplishing what you want.
– Don’t dwell on the past, mistakes can be forgotten or forgiven. People that have hurt you don’t deserve to be in your future. Give your time to those who deserve it.
– Set yourself goals, you can do anything and be anything you want, but it takes work and motivation.
I felt this blog was necessary, and I hope it has helped at least one person then I will know that it was worth my time.
Now onto my beauty tips of 2014!
– Water water water. You can’t get much purer than H2O.
– Do at least 30 minutes of exercise each day, it will make you look and feel great.
– Don’t forget your fruit and veg!
– Green tea and lemon… Amazing for a detox, try and drink at least once daily.
– Aussie shampoo and conditioner, it is getting cheaper and your hair is so precious, do not neglect it.
– Simple soap, it is cheap and it does what every expensive product claims to do. Less chemicals = better results.
– Winter, keep your skin hydrated and moisturised and don’t forget about your lips, use a spare toothbrush to exfoliate dead skin cells and a good lip balm. SPF is always better!
Make up tips:
– Always use a primer for long lasting make up. Buy a primer for your skin type.
– Always remove your make up properly using a cleanser, avoid make up wipes at all costs.
– Wash your brushes!